Monday 14 April 2008

Carmilla by J Sheridan Le Fanu. Narrated by Louisa Thornton. Chapter 2 - A Guest.


A new podcast from Radio Theatre Group
The Classic Vampire Story -
Carmilla
by J Sheridan Le Fanu
Narrated by Louisa Thornton

Chapter 2 – A Guest

Listen to or download Chapter 2 using the following link

Carmilla - Chapter 2 - A Guest

Chapter 3 of Carmilla – We Compare Notes - will be available on Tuesday 15th April

An excerpt from Chapter 2 of Le Fanu’s novel –

"I have lost my darling daughter, for as such I loved her.
During the last days of dear Bertha's illness I was not able to write
to you.

"Before then I had no idea of her danger. I have lost her, and now learn
_all_, too late. She died in the peace of innocence, and in the glorious
hope of a blessed futurity. The fiend who betrayed our infatuated
hospitality has done it all. I thought I was receiving into my house
innocence, gaiety, a charming companion for my lost Bertha. Heavens!
what a fool have I been!

"I thank God my child died without a suspicion of the cause of her
sufferings. She is gone without so much as conjecturing the nature of
her illness, and the accursed passion of the agent of all this misery. I
devote my remaining days to tracking and extinguishing a monster. I am
told I may hope to accomplish my righteous and merciful purpose. At
present there is scarcely a gleam of light to guide me. I curse my
conceited incredulity, my despicable affectation of superiority, my
blindness, my obstinacy--all--too late.


Introducing, as Laura, the narrator of Carmilla
Louisa Thornton


A talented and versatile performer, Louisa’s theatre credits include lead roles in Sharman McDonald’s When We Were Women, Liz Lochead’s Perfect Days and Muriel Spark’s The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.

Louisa has also performed in previous productions for Radio Theatre Group, most recently, as the deadly femme fatale Cora Papadakis in The Postman Always Rings Twice and in 2004, as Red Riding Hood in A Company of Wolves.

Louisa can be contacted on Casting Call and on MySpace

Each chapter of Carmilla will be available to download or as a podcast on from the following sources - MySpace, Blogger, Glasgow Theatre Underground and itunes

To contact Radio Theatre Group, please e-mail radiotheatregroup@hotmail.co.uk

No comments: